HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR BELOVED COMPANION ANIMAL
I have shared this information each year but I do want to keep our pets safe so please take the time to check this out.
Halloween is associated with spooky haunted houses, pet costumes (in the case of pet parents) and most of all, Halloween candy! Candy can be toxic and very dangerous to pets. Below are five dangerous Halloween candies for dogs and cats.
1. Candy Corn & Other High Sugar Candy
Candies that are made with pure sugar can cause severe gas and diarrhea. The sugar not only provides a great source of food for gut bacteria to indulge in, it can also pull water into the colon and cause a bad case of diarrhea.
2. Chocolate Covered Raisins
These tasty treats combine two potentially deadly ingredients in dogs and cats. Chocolate is toxic to pets and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. Raisins (and other grape products) can cause severe kidney failure. The two of these combined is the ultimate toxic nightmare for pets. If your pet eats any chocolate covered raisins this Halloween, take them to your veterinarian immediately for treatment.
3. Candy with Wrappers
When dogs get into the candy bowl, they don’t usually bother to unwrap the treats first. Plastic and foil wrappers pose a health risk since they can cause an obstruction in the intestines and irritate the lining of the GI tract. Sometimes, pets can pass the wrappers without a problem, but it is best to keep all wrapped treats away from pets just in case.
4. Bite-size Hard Candy
Hard candy often has a delicious taste to dogs. These treats pose a major choking hazard for pets. Hard candy becomes slippery when mixed with saliva and it can be inhaled into the trachea (wind pipe), causing a choking hazard. Be sure to keep these candies away from dogs and cats.
5. Sugar-Free Gum
This type of gum may contain Xylitol, a sugar-substitute. it can be deadly if ingested by a dog or cat.
Xylitol causes a severe drop in blood sugar that can happen within minutes after ingestion. Pets may become lethargic, unable to walk and start having seizures. If they survive the initial symptoms, they often will have severe liver damage and potentially fatal liver failure. This is the most dangerous type of Halloween candy for pets.
Keep your pet safe this Halloween by keeping all of your Halloween treats in a safe, secure place. Remember, up on the counter may not be out of reach - my dog Pepper would "counter surf." Best to put candy in drawers or cupboards.
new blog posts on developing site www.pawsitivewellnesscenter.com